MB-300: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Unified Operations Core
I wanted to take the MB-300 exam. Logged in to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-mb-300.aspx and started scheduling and look for the available exam centers where I could take the exam. I was bit surprised that there were none left for the month of October. I believe this is a good sign too it probably confirms the great demand for the Microsoft Business Applications at the moment, which might have led many consultants to take the exams and because of that the exam centers are filled up. Furthermore, it could be also by the fact that partners are also required to take these exams to maintain their competency level so that consultants are required to take these exams.
Therefore, If I wanted to take the exam in an exam center I had to wait around one more month. So, I decided to give it ago and take the MB-300 exam from home. This was my first attempt at online proctored exam (OPE).
This was a different experience altogether. I should say I was more stressed than taking the exam in a test center. I would recommend taking the exam at exam centers if possible, since it will give you less stress and you will be able to give 100% attention and focus on the exam.
There were few questions which might come into your mind when you plan to take the MB-300 exam. I have also mentioned about learning materials which I have used for the preparation of the exam. Furthermore, shared my experience in taking the online proctored exam (OPE) and given you the things to consider when taking it as an OPE.
Why do you need to take MB-300?
This is the operations core exam and this covers fundamental understanding of D365 for finance and operations. Also, this will be a great starting point if you are planning to take the functional certification exams later.
The skills measured in this exam are categorized into below areas. This covers good ground of basic knowledge which you would require having as a functional consultant. Some of the material you may argue if it’s relevant for the functional consultant, however I have enjoyed these topics.
- Use common functionality and implementation tools (20-25%)
- Configure security, processes, and options (45-50%)
- Perform data migration (15-20%)
- Validate and support the solution (15-20%)
What materials did you used for this exam?
I have only used Microsoft Learn materials (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/) I believe it is sufficient to pass the exam. I must say those documentations are very well done and Microsoft is doing a fantastic job on updating and creating new learning content which is up-to-date.
I have listed down the links below.
Also, would recommend you to sign-up with the AXUG free course which is conducted by MVP Kelly Kane. There are 8 sessions and it started on 27th September still you have six more sessions to go.
What should I know about online Proctored exam (OPE) ?
There are lots of things to consider I would say below will be critical for you to decide and get prepare if you need to take the online exam.
- You must make sure that you perform a system test first to make sure you can take the exam from home/office.
- You must have a good reliable internet connection. This is a must and another thing to consider here is that even though you have a reliable connection if it’s not able to continue to have a good video connection throughout the exam then you shouldn’t take the exam at office/home.
- Make sure place where you are taking the exam doesn’t have any document, monitors, watches, notes, pagers, laptops, TV, desktop computers etc.
- Also, you should make sure that there will not be anyone who will be accidently entering the place you are taking the exam and it might result in failing the exam.
- If you need to reschedule an exam appointment you must do it at least 24 hours prior to the exam.
- I would recommend starting logging at least 20-25 minutes earlier than your exam time. Specially if you are taking it for the first time as an OPE. You have only 15 minutes after the scheduled appointment time to begin the exam process.
- On the exam day you would require to login to the www.microsoft.com/learning and click on “Dashboard” to view your appointments. Choose “Start a previously scheduled proctored exam”. Then click on your exam under “Purchased Online Exams”. Continue to click “begin” and proceed to do the self-checking process.
- You should have your ID’s nearby you so that you can get register using mobile and would require taking pictures on yourself, the place where you take the exam to be exact 4 pictures need to be taken (front, back, left and right). Once verification is completed and successful the Proctor will be contacting you via chat.
- During the exam please make sure you refrain from the points which I’m about to tell you next. Please do not move your head and you must make sure that you will be keeping your head within the screen so that Proctor can see you clearly during the exam. Make sure you do not cover your face during the exam. If you are a person who likes reading out the questions like me I can say please don’t do that during the exam. 😊
I feel this added up bit more stress and pressure it might leave you to focus on the aspects which I have mentioned above rather than having your full attention and focus on the exam. So, I would recommend taking the MB-300 exam from exam center is far better option.
Hope this helps someone who is looking forward to get certified in MB-300.
Wish you all the very best if you are planning to take the MB-300 exam. 😊